I bet this scenario sounds familiar. It’s December 31st and you vow to make this next year your healthiest year yet. You plan to cut out sugar, hit the gym five times per week, and cut down on coffee. Roll around to the morning of January 15, just a couple weeks later and you’re sipping a latte, eating a doughnut, and lounging in your sweatpants only THINKING about going to the gym.
We’ve all been there. New Year’s resolutions seem so promising when you’ve got a couple glasses of champagne in you and a hope of a new beginning is just moments away. Once the buzz wears off, often times the motivation does also.
This year, make it your most successful and healthy year yet! Using these ten tip for a healthy lifestyle, you can easily keep your New Year’s health resolution while enjoying yourself!
- Eat your fruits and veggies! Five servings per day is recommended for optimal health benefits.
- Limit your sugar intake. Too much sugar can impair your immune system, increase cholesterol, and make you tired. Make conscious decisions to avoid eating too many sweets such as cakes, cookies, and candy.
- Avoid fried food. An occasional order of french fries is fine, just don’t go ordering them with every meal.
- Chew your food good! The better you break down your food, the less your stomach has to so give your body a break, and do the majority of the work on your own.
- Cut out caffeine. Instead of coffee, try to drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water, herbal tea, or skim milk.
- Excercise regularly. Try a nice mix of cardio and weight training. Recreational activities such as swimming and dancing are great and fun ways to get moving!
- Get good sleep. Rest is essential for mind and body functioning, so try and get at least 7 to 8 hours per day.
- Cut out a majority of “bad” fats. This means it’s best to cut down on your butters, red meats, and hydrogenated oils.
- Relax, have fun, and make time for friends and family. This will nourish our minds, bodies, and souls.
- FLOSS, FLOSS, FLOSS…and brush your teeth as well! Taking care of your mouth will be beneficial for your whole body, and it’ll give you bright, white, beautiful teeth!
Make this year the happiest and healthiest year yet by taking steps to make the above ten resolutions habits for the rest of your life!
Your health matters to us. If you have any questions concerning this post, call us at (248) 357-3100 today. We’re always happy to hear from our awesome patients!
The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.