Understanding Causes of Gum Recession
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
Gum Recession Causes
Receding Gums Causes in Wayne County MIGum recession in Detroit, MI has a variety of causes and is often a result of a combination of factors. Some of these factors include:
- Periodontal Disease
- Brushing Technique
- Poor Dental Hygiene
- Tobacco Product Use
- Crooked or Misaligned Teeth
- Oral Piercings
Causes of Gum Recession in Detroit, MI
There are many possible causes for your gum recession, but none of them should be ignored. When your gums start to wear away, “pockets” begin to form between your gums and your teeth. These spaces are the perfect environment for disease-causing bacteria to form and colonize, which can lead to the development of periodontal disease. Dr. Joseph Nemeth is a periodontist for Wayne County, MI that can diagnose and treat your periodontal disease to get your healthy smile back.
Periodontal disease can also lead to eventual tooth and bone loss. Without teeth in their proper place, other teeth can start to move and drift causing spaces to open between your teeth. You can also experience difficulty chewing. Studies have shown that periodontal disease plays a role in exacerbating other systemic health issues, such as osteoporosis, diabetes, heart disease, and some forms of cancer.
What Causes Gum Recession in Detroit, MI?
- Poor oral hygiene. Not brushing effectively will not remove all of the disease-causing bacteria and brushing too aggressively can wear away your gums and even your teeth.
- Gum disease. A build-up of bacteria that destroys soft tissue and bone.
- Using tobacco products. Smoking and chewing tobacco cause excessive plaque build-up that can be very difficult to clean off.
- Genetics. You might be predisposed to gum disease no matter how well you brush.
- Crowded or crooked teeth. Teeth that do not align properly become traumatized over time and their surrounding gum tissue can wear away.
- Grinding or clenching teeth. Grinding your teeth can also lead to your gum line wearing away.
- Body piercing. Constant friction of a metal piercing will wear away soft tissue and gums.
- Hormonal changes. The hormone increase that occurs with pregnant and menopausal woman can make the gums more sensitive.
You do not have to live with gum recession. Dr. Nemeth can treat your receding gums and periodontal disease and help you achieve optimal oral health. If you would like to know more about the causes of receding gums in Wayne County, MI, make an appointment with Dr. Nemeth’s office today!
Have Additional Questions? Call Now: (248) 357-3100